- There is now NO MORE EARLY VOTING,
- College students must now vote OFF CAMPUS
- Students may no longer have residency in order to vote (even though Supreme Court upheld student right to vote in 1979)
- GOVERNMENT ID required; however NO COLLEGE ID's ACCEPTED (even state colleges!)
- Polling places are being consolidated. One case at Appalachian State: 9,300 students will have to drive to a polling place with 35 PARKING SPOTS when the recommended maximum number for a polling place is... wait for it... 1,500 -- THAT'S MORE THAN SIX TIMES THE RECOMMENDED MAXIMUM!
Next week I will be in North Carolina, visiting friends from Davidson College who now live in Durham and Charlotte. In case you have not been following the news, there are a lot of people who are angry and getting arrested in North Carolina this summer as the Republican legislature rolls back the state to pre-Jim Crow and Pre-Roe v. Wade times. Some of the lowlights: